Apulia Tour and typical Gastronomic flavors
The thematic tour related to the flavors of Apulia will give You an introduction to the aromas of a very simple, direct, and deeply seductive cuisine. The region is known for the extraordinary gastronomic variety which reflects the agricultural culture, pastoral and marinara. You must not miss the opportunity to taste real local delicacies, dishes that preserve the flavor of tradition.
The cultural and culinary experience will start from Andria, the first town in Apulia where to stop to visit a dairy, taste the typical cheese “burrata” and other local products. Strike west to Alta Murgia, north to the mysterious hilltop Castel del Monte to experience one of its wonderful sunsets. This octagonal shaped castle is an architectural enigma built by Federico II, plenty of legends and history. It is also one of Italy’s most striking UNESCO sites.
The tour will lead you to discover the most popular highligths of Bari, the capital of Apulia region, walking along the old city, called “Bari vecchia” and the Swabian Castle. Head to the coast to visit Polignano a Mare, a small wonderful village on high cliffs characterized by clear and crystalline sea, and Alberobello, a picturesque small town in the area of Murgia, known throughout the world for its “trulli”, the typical white cylindrical buildings with domes.
Along the way, stop in Ostuni, called “the white town” thanks to its white buildings, to visit a oil-mill with tasting of olive oil and Apulian typical products. Enjoy a relaxing walking tour in the heart of the old town of Lecce, well known not only for its Baroque architecture but also for its wonderful cookery. You will attend a cooking lesson and can taste a delicious typical lunch at Masseria Chicco Rizzo, a majestic country house nearby Lecce.
The tour will include also the visit to the historic seaside town of Otranto with its enchanting narrow streets, Aragon walls and white houses. Drive along the panoramic coast, a real spectacle of nature. The first part of the coast is rocky, marked by high cliffs and caves. Stop in Santa Maria di Leuca, a small village with 47m high lighthouse. The second part of the coast is rising to the north, with long white beaches and turquoise sea, enough to be called “The Italian Maldives”. The ancient small town of Nardò, rich of Baroque buildings, well known for its wineries is also worth the visit.
Depart on an excursion to explore the ancient city of Matera, known as “Sassi”, made of peasant houses carved into the rock and remained true over time. Those curious can stay in caves, wander the lanes alongside the picturesque cave-filled cliffs, and learn the history of this fascinating place.
Immerse yourself in the glory of ancient Rome and admire its most beautiful sights. Rome is also a shopper’s paradise, You will have time for shopping along the area of the Trident with the famous Via Condotti, Via Borgognona, Via Frattina and Piazza di Spagna.
The rate includes
- 9 overnights in 4 star hotel double/twin room on b/b basis;
- 9 breakfasts;
- Minivan 16 seats for transfers & tour as indicated in the program;
- Visit of a cheese diary and tasting;
- Guided Visit of Castel del Monte;
- Oil tasting (4 kinds of oil);
- 2 wine tastings (4 wines + 3 wines);
- Cooking lesson;
- Typical lunch in Masseria;
- Visits, tastings and cooking lesson are with an English speaking assistant/guide.
The rate does not include
- City taxes to be paid at the hotels – per person per night (€6 in Rome, €1 in Alberobello, €1 in Lecce, €2 in Otranto, €2 in Matera, NO tax in Bari);
- Single supplement (€180 per person);
- Entrance fee for coach in all cities €270 per group)
- Lunches and dinners (about € 15 per meal per person);
- Supplement for Chinese speaking assistant during the tour (from 2nd to 8th day): € 270 per person;
- All items not specified in the chapter “the price includes”.
Day 1: Rome
Day 2: Rome - Andria - Castel del Monte - Bari
Day 3: Bari - polignano - Alberobello
Day 4: Alberobello - Ostuni - Lecce
Day 5: Lecce - Otranto
Day 6: Otranto - Leuca - Matera
Day 7: Matera
Day 8: Matera - Rome
Day 9: Rome
Day 10: Departure