Gastronomic Tour in Marche and Umbria
Our gourmet tour focuses on two Italy’s richly diverse culinary regions: discover the foods, wines and hill towns of Marche and Umbria.
Start Your gastronomic adventure from Rome and head north into Umbria region, known for its gastronomic jewels characterizing the whole territory and as pilgrimage destination because of San Francesco’s life places. The route goes across the “Strada del Sagrantino”, the land of Umbrian wines. Included the visit of a canteen and tasting of renowned red wine Sagrantino DOCG. The full day tour will continue to the medieval town of Perugia to discover the Perugina Factory, the most important Italian establishment specialized in chocolate and confectionery. Along the way stop to Assisi, the birthplace of Saint Francisco, today one of the most impressive pilgrimage sites in the world.
Enjoy a relaxing drive through beautiful and colorful landscapes to reach the wonderful medieval town of Ascoli Piceno, famous for its towers and the warm ivory colour of the local travertine characterizing the whole historic centre. Norcia is worthwhile visiting for its typical “norcineria”, labs with processing and sale of pork. The tour ends with a tasting of cold cuts and local cheese.
The gastronomic tour continues into Marche region, You will first stop in Recanati, characterized by beautiful glimpses and landscapes from every point of the town which lies on top of a hill at 300m above the sea level. Taste the famous “brodetto di Porto Recanati” (fish soup). Depart to Ancona, the capital of the region, and time at disposal to explore the historical center of the town. Standing on a promontory overlooking the Adriatic sea, Ancona offers enchanting views from its Gulf to the Regional Park of Monte Conero, a natural preserved oasis directly south of the city with lots of breathtaking views of the whole Riviera.
Urbino is a must for those who want to plan an in-depth cultural tour of Italy. An attractive hill-town famed for theRenaissance court of Federico da Montefeltro. The city center has UNESCO World Heritage status for representing “a pinnacle of Renaissance art and architecture”.
A scenic route leads to the enchanting Furlo Gorge (Gola del Furlo), a great naturalistic place with unique specimens of flora and fauna, not far from the small town of Acqualagna, a small village world known for its delicious truffles, absolutely worth tasting! The tour ends in Gubbio, a picturesque town with well preserved medieval walls and monuments. Before heading towards Rome, stop at Frasassi to visit the enchanting caves, one of the most wonderful stalactites and stalagmites complex in Europe.
Immerse Yourself in the glory of ancient Rome and admire its most beautiful sights. Rome is also a shopper’s paradise, You will have time for shopping along the famous Via Condotti, Via Borgognona, Via Frattina and Piazza di Spagna.
The rate includes
- 9 Overnights in 4 star hotels on bed & breakfast basis;
- Private transfers and coach service as in the program;
- Private visit of winery “Cantine Adanti” and wine tasting (6 wines) with local cheese in Sagrantino area;
- 1 hour guided visit of Perugina Factory and chocolate tasting in Perugia;
- Tasting of cold cuts and cheese at the “Norcineria Fratelli Anduini” in Norcia;
- Typical lunch at “Il raggio Verde” in Recanati, drinks included;
- Private visit of the winery “Oriano Mercante” and wine tasting (3 wines) with local cheese in Conero area;
- Private visit of the truffle lab “Acqualagna Tartufi”, tasting of truffle & local products, typical lunch;
- Private visit of the Frasassi Caves;
- English speaking local guide/assistant during the above visits.
The rate does not include
- City taxes to be paid at the hotels;
- Single supplement (€ 270 per person);
- Tips to driver and guides;
- Lunches (except for the typical lunch in Recanati and the one in Acqualagna) and dinners;
- Coach ZTL taxes & parking (about € 32 per person);
- Assistant during the whole tour (price on request);
- All items not specified in the chapter “the rate include”.
Day 1: Rome
Day 2: Rome - Perugia
Day 3: Perugia - Perugina factory - Assisi - Perugia
Day 4: Perugia - Norcia - Ascoli Piceno
Day 5: Ascoli Piceno - Recanati - Ancona
Day 6: Ancona - Conero - Urbino
Day 7: Urbino - Furlo - Acqualagna - Gubbio
Day 8: Gubbio - Frasassi - Rome
Day 9: Rome
Day 10: Departure